1. Can we start with your name and where you’re from?
Julie and I write under my maiden name JF Holland. I still live in the small town I was born in Partington in Manchester.
2. Most authors love reading, is this true for you and if so who was/is your inspiration?
I read contemporary and paranormal romance, and I have a few authors who inspire me. Jill Shalvis, my good friend Kate Hardy (who write for Mills & boon) Lynsay Sands, JR Ward, Lara Adrian, Gena Showalter, Kresley Cole, Hannah Howell and a few others.
3. What genre do you write in or do you cross over into many?
I write what I read, contemporary and paranormal romance, but I do cross over slightly. I enjoy a bit of humour in my books, so I try to add that in too. as well as sass and a little intrigue.
4. If you could take any character from someone else’s book and make him/her your own creation who would it be and why?
Oh my, so many, I’d have to say Mary from JR Wards the Black Dagger Brotherhood though. She has the strength to face down the brothers and she’s lifemate to Hollywood, I mean, nom.
5. When did you first start writing?
I don’t ever remember I time when I didn’t write, even when I was little I wrote. I’d re-write books I wasn’t overly fond of and change them to my liking. If I wasn’t reading I was writing or drawing. I’ve wrote seriously for about the last 10 years though, but I didn’t release my first book until last July.
6. Do you plan every inch of your books or do you just let the words flow?
I tried for years to plan, to work out each chapter, and have quite a few partial manuscripts I never finished due to it. I’m now what is termed a pantster. Basically, I sit down at my laptop, maybe with a rough idea, and just write. I see the story in my head as a movie, what they say how they move, surroundings etc., I just write what I see. I’ve actually explained my writing process in Blue Christmas, as that’s about a writer.
7. Who is your favourite character and why? (your own character)
That would have to be Maya from my paranormal series. She takes no shit from her mate and gives him a run for his money.
8. Was there an event in your life that triggered a particular book, or even a scene in a book? If so what was the book and what was the event?
My paranormal series is bases on The Big Black Cat sightings in the UK. I’ve listened about big black cat sightings for years, strange in a country where we don’t have any. Then you add in the sightings of wolves (or should I say werewolves) and a Lion too at one point and I instantly went down the shifter route. So between the stories on the press, sightings and Maroon 5’s ‘Animal,’ my Bound Series was born.
9.Are you working on anything at the moment? If so can you share any tasty morsels?
I’m working on 2 books, but several more in the pipeline. I’m writing the book that Lorie, the main character is writing in Blue Christmas, called Date Night, which is a contemporary romance. Also, I’m writing the 3rd book in my paranormal series, this one is called Fire in The Moon, and Balin now gets his story. The 3rd book will bring more fighting and intrigue as the immortals fight for the lives of the women they love, and rescue one of the males. Also, we’ll see more of what some of the characters are capable of bringing to the table. So intrigue, hot sex, fight scenes and a little payback is expected.
10. What one piece of advice would you give to someone starting out?
Don’t give up, read a lot, and write. Write whatever comes to mind. You may not use everything that you write but your confidence grows with each piece that you produce. As the saying goes, you can’t edit a blank page.
11. What do you do when you’re not writing?
I read, or draw, I also crochet, and a little cross stitch. I also have children so family time is important. One of my sons is a drummer in an indie rock band, so I go to their gigs and attend rock concerts if they come up.
12. What is the hardest part of the whole writing, editing, marketing process for you?
Marketing and writing the blurb, that to me is like pulling nails. I’d rather write another manuscript than have to do my marketing and write the blurb.
13. We all have those friends or family members who make sweeping statements about our writing or the process, which is your particular bug bear?
You write filth (which I don’t) I don’t write erotica per se, I write heated romance with a story. I also hate how people assume you can just switch it off at a certain time. Unfortunately, characters don’t have a stop clock. Ideas and scenes can come to you at the most inopportune moments.
14. What is your idea of happiness?
I’m pretty easy to please, a book, and a cup of tea and I’m good.
15. For this one I want you to showcase your creativity by painting me a picture, with words, of your ideal setting to write in.
The kids are in bed, and the house is quiet. The fire is lit, so the room is nice and cosy. I’m sat with a lamp on and a couple of candles flickering on the mantelpiece. The television is on, low, in the background (I can’t listen to music as I write as I get more story ideas) and my dogs are curled up snoring beside me.
I sit beneath a blanket, wearing slippers on the sofa, with my laptop on my knee and envision the scene I’m working on. At the side of me sits my warm mug of tea and either a bag of bacon Wheaties or a bar of dark chocolate.
16. What makes you laugh/cry?
My children can make me do both, my dogs the same.
17. You’re stranded on a desert island and you can take three men/women who would they be and why? This can be practical or purely sexual in nature.
I’ll take Jesus as he was a carpenter, so the skills will come in handy. Plus, he’s in with the big guy and you never know when you’ll need a favour. Gordon Ramsey as he can cook and I find his swearing highly entertaining. Lastly I’d take Liam Neeson as he has a particular set of skills and they may also come in handy to survive.
18. What is your most annoying habit?
I’m always on the last minute or late, my mum said I was even born late lol
19. Please tell me about your books? For each one please send a pic (kindle cover would be perfect)
Dennison Property Story Series (contemporary)
The Only One (book 1)
This Time (book 2)
Second Chance (book 2)
Blue Christmas (holiday Romance)
The Bound Series (paranormal)
Moon Sworn (book 1, introduction)
Bound by The Moon (book 2)
20. Lightning round
Tea or Coffee? Tea
Cash or credit? Cash
Cats or Dogs? Dog
Beach or Mountain? I’d have to say both for this.
Summer or Winter? Summer as it’s warm, winter as I love the crisp air.
Sweet or Savoury? Savoury
Early riser or late riser? Late riser
Morning or Night? Night
Christmas Tree – real or fake? Fake, I have dogs.
Sex – Lights on or off? Lamp lol
Thank you very much for taking the time to answer these questions.
Please leave Facebook, Twitter, Website links so we can check you out further.
You can find me on facebook:- www.facebook.com/JFHollandRomanceWriter
Or I have a website:- https://www.jf-holland-romance-author.com